My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County, New York, United States

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Sigmund Revisited

When I was kid Sid & Marty Krofft ruled the television world. I recall fondly watching shows like Land of the Lost, The Bugalooos, H.R. Puff N Stuff, the list goes on. These were live action shows, no cartoons, but colorful sets and outrageous costume designs. One show that I always looked forward to watching was Sigmund and the Sea Monsters.

I'm not sure what re-sparked my interest in these shows, but I decided to revisit Sigmund and redraw them in a cartoon style. I actually bought a DVD with 4 episdoes on it to help me visualize it better. Man what a trip. The acting wasn't great, it had canned laughter and you could see the set up of a one line joke a mile away, but I couldn't stop watching it. I loved it. The funny thing is Sigmund ran from 1973-1975 and I remembered every episode. Whoa.

Anyway, the following are a few sketches with simple color concepts. I did take one liberty which was to put Sigmund and his friends actually in the ocean. After all, he was a sea monster. :)

Thanks for visiting.






2 Comments:

Blogger scott k said...

Well I'm 5 years late in finding this, but what cool drawings! I especially love the one of the backyard set. Johnny & I look cool under water too. Sure wish they had a budget to do that! :)
Great job, man. Thanks.
scott kolden

2:54 AM  
Blogger michael foster said...

This is wild. I can't believe Scott Kolden has left a comment. Thank you for the kind words and yes I wish there was a budget to do Sigmund as a cartoon. I loved the show when I was young and I still love it today.

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home