My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County, New York, United States

Friday, January 26, 2007

Run Cycles

Hanna Barbera rocks. I loved watching all the various cartoons as a kid and I still love them today. Sometimes I like to spend time going frame by frame looking at walk cycles, run cycles whatever.

So I noticed on a lot of the characters there were only three different positions used in a run cycle. Very fast but effective. I've been using about seven which I thought was a small amount. I also noticed that the bodies including the arms were stationary only the legs were hauling butt.

So below are two samples. One in the Hanna Barbera vain and one done with a little more bounce but still with three leg positions.

Just click the images to view.

Thanks for visiting.



Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Cedric said...

Is there a way you can combine the two? The first one looks more like the legs are running, but it feels unnatural because the body isn't reacting to the legs (i.e. bouncing up and down). The second one looks a lot better, but you need more action in the legs to make it feel like a run. Combining the leg motion from #1 with the bouncing from #2 seems to me like it would be a real winner.

Also, try leaning the body forward more to add a sense of action, and of course sound effects always help (like the Hanna Barbara "ding-a-ling-a-ling-a-ling-a" running noise).

Nice design overall!

5:12 PM  
Blogger mike said...

man! you have been busy! congrats! that's great.

and i love your animations. but i always say that. ;)

4:54 PM  
Blogger Aberrant Dreams said...

I love both of the run cycles. And they do scream Hanna Barbera. Keep up the good work.

8:38 PM  
Blogger uriel said...

hilarious :) as always. Great characters!

10:37 AM  
Blogger Hurrayic said...

Love the second one. And I like how the clouds move before caveman does.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Aberrant Dreams said...

I noticed you updated the second run cycle to include more of a perceived story. Nice!

I like the trip and fall at the end.

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home