My Photo
Name:
Location: Orange County, New York, United States

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A Little Glimpse Part 2

I decided to post a sample Character Library to show yet another glimpse into Flash animation. A Character Library or Character Pack contains all the elements of a cartoon character; hands, eyes, mouth, body, legs...and so on. All these elements have to be drawn first in order to be able to animate a character. If this step isn't done, animating is difficult.

Now there are times when animation begins after the character pack has been created that a new hand pose or body position might be needed that will have to be added or created on the fly, but for the most part the majority of the library has been made.

Below is a sample of a character with all the parts separated out to show the complexity of a character pack. Keep in mind, this is only part of this characters library. My philosophy is to go overboard so that animation is a fun experience.

So when an animator is hired to do a job keep in mind that animation is so much more then moving characters on a screen.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Thanks for visiting.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gavin Chmielewski said...

Thanks Mike,
Its really cool to see all the moving pieces to a character. I love the hands. Its also really insightful to see that you draw the arm in a single piece. I guess there are not a whole lot of movements an arm can make. Thanks. Your cartoons have been a blessing to my own efforts to learn how to animate.

7:45 PM  
Blogger michael foster said...

Thanks Gavin :) There's actually more to these libraries, but I think the point is made. I'd love to see some of your work.

8:47 PM  
Blogger Zeb said...

Thanks so much for posting this image with all the parts! Like Gavin, I'm inspired to see the arms and legs as a single piece and not hinged together which always is a hassle to get the joints right. If you can, please show us more!

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home